Sunday, April 19, 2009

African Dwarf Frog owners?

Are there any AFD owners out there? Well, I went to gulf shores about 3 weeks ago and at the gift shop I saw a shelf full of little AFDs. They were living in these little %26quot;miniature aquariums%26quot;. There were normally two frogs to an %26quot;aquarium and an apple snail. Also came with an aquatic plant and the rocks were seeded with beneficial bacteria. Well I ended up buying an aquarium that had 2 male AFs in it.





I felt sorry for the little guys being forced to live in that box. I also read on numerous AFD care websites that one frog should have 1 gallon of room. I plan on switching them to my 1 and a half gallon tank very soon. I have to get some more rocks and some water conditioner, tall decoration and stuff like that.





My question is what products have worked the best for your frogs? I have been researching ADs for a few days now and want to learn all I can about these funny little creatures!

African Dwarf Frog owners?
A variety of food is always best when feeding ADF. Shrimp pellets, tropical fish flake, and aquatic frog pellets are all great food choices for them. It only takes a little food once a day to keep these guys happy. Doing frequent water changes (a few cups in a 1 gal tank) once a week will ensure good water quality for them as well. Make sure to dechlorinate you water like you would for fish. Good Luck and enjoy them.
Reply:My daughter brought one of those frogs home from school almost two years ago (September) it was in a tiny bowl %26amp; the water looked disgusting. We went to petco %26amp; got a 1 gallon starter tank (plastic) for only like $25.00. I honestly thought the little guy wouldnt last as long as he has, but I found out they can live up to 10 years (although 5 is usual). 2 frogs can peacefully co-exist in a 1 gallon tank just fine. We feed %26quot;Sammy%26quot; brine shrimp pellets %26amp; 1 can has lasted a year. We only have the basics for our frog %26amp; he is very happy %26amp; healthy. =)



Soles

No comments:

Post a Comment