Monday, April 20, 2009

Has anyone come across any references in alchemy that may call for the use of blood in the Great Work?

Has anyone come across any references in alchemy that may call for the use of blood in the Great Work?


I%26#039;m not talking about making plant or animal stones, but the Great Work(s) with the metals.


In ceremonial magic, I am aware that some operations may benefit by blood sacrifice. Not any blood will do, either. A true sacrifice calls for the blood of the magus himself. This compensates the forces of Nature for their gift and adds vitality to his operation.


Thinking back to the old belief that blood = life, I keep seeing the image of Aquarius the water-bearer pouring new life into the earth.


This leads me to further conclude that if I were to perform the work with the metals, I should first vitalize my Prime Matter with a blood sacrifice (giving it my blood) and thus feed the life within it.


This also binds the Matter to me, it evolving with me, and I evolving with it.


I also see the fact that blood, once given the time to decompose, will probably turn black and powdery.

Has anyone come across any references in alchemy that may call for the use of blood in the Great Work?
Consider that TRUE alchemy is steeped in symbolism and code. That when a work calls for something it may not be literal.



White Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment